123 Court St, Chestertown, Maryland 21620, United States


Our lawyers have over 50 years of experience

We are a full service law firm providing services to our clients in most areas of law, including, Civil, Criminal, Contracts, Real Estate, Last Will and Testament, Probate, Trusts, Collections

Practice Areas

Real estate


Real estate


We are a full service real estate provider.
We can assist you with everything from the preparation of the contract to the acquisition of the keys!

Some of the services we can provide:

  • Preparation of your contract to purchase the property.
  • Escrow of your deposit funds.
  • Arrangements for a Pest inspection.
  • Arrangements for a Boundary Survey or Location Drawing.
  • Title search.
  • Owners and Lenders Title Insurance.
  • Preparation of all acquisition and loan documents coordinated with your lender, if any.
  • Final Settlement!

and more... 



Real estate


From Agreements of Sale to Voluntary Separation Agreements,
we can handle your every need, if you need a written legal agreement, don't hesitate to call us.

Agreement of Sale: When purchasing real estate, it is always the best idea to have your contract in writing, setting forth the terms of the agreement, from the purchase price, to how expenses of the transfer will be paid, any inspections that might be agreed to, and more.

Lease: If you are going to rent property, either as the Landlord or the Tenant, always have a lease that sets out the terms of the lease from the security deposit, the rental amount, responsibilities of each party as to maintenance issues and expenses.

General Power of Attorney: The purpose of a General Power of Attorney is to authorize another person to conduct business matters on your behalf in the event that you are unable to handle the business yourself, such as paying bills, writing checks, making deposits, signing contracts, etc. From situations where you may be ill and not able to conduct matters for yourself temporarily or permanently, or even if you just need some business taken care of and your schedule doesn't afford you the time, you can appoint someone with a General Power of Attorney to handle those matters on your behalf.

Specific Power of Attorney: A Specific Power of Attorney allows you to authorize an individual to conduct a specific business act on your behalf, but nothing else. Most commonly used for real estate transactions (purchases/sales/loans) where one party is unable to be present.

Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care: This document allows you to appoint a person and an alternate to make medical decisions in the event that you are unable to make them yourself. A very good thing to have. You never know when tragedy may strike. Be prepared in advance no matter your age.

Living Will: With so many right to live or die cases in the news today, this document can help your loved ones avoid controversy in the event tragedy strikes you. This document will be your voice to state your desires concerning prolonging life with artificial means  and allowing you direct how your life is handled and lifting the burden of making a difficult decision from the shoulders of your loved ones.





A common misconception in the general public is that you don't need a Will until you are old. Quite the contrary. You should have a Will if:

1) You own any property in your name alone (for example, a checking account or a car.)

2) You have minor children.

3) You have personal property or family heirlooms that you want a specific person to receive at the time of your death.

4) You are married and own property together.

* * * * * * * * * * *

A Will appoints a person (the "Personal Representative") to handle the estate matters (the paperwork) involved in settling your estate. Any asset you own jointly with another person automatically becomes the other person's property at your death and does not pass through your estate and is not taxable.

If you have minor children, you will need to appoint a person to be the guardian of those children once you are gone. Most likely your first choice will be the other parent, should that parent still be living, but you will also need to choose another party in the event that the first choice is unable to fulfill that position. Think carefully! This will be the person or persons raising your children!

If you have substantial assets or life insurance, you may want to consider creating a trust for the benefit of your children and appoint a Trustee to control those funds until the child has reached an age that you determine he or she should then gain control of those funds for him or herself. The Trustee DOES NOT have to be the Guardian (but often is).

Trusts can also be established for spouses.

If you have a Life Insurance policy, it is a good idea to have the beneficiary be "your estate" if your intention is that the proceeds from the policy are meant to pay for your funeral and final expenses. There is nothing requiring the beneficiary of the policy to use those funds to pay your final expenses! Any policy with an individual named as the beneficiary would automatically become the property of the beneficiary and will not pass through your estate. You may have multiple policies with various beneficiaries for just that reason.

It is not a particularly good idea to place your original Will in your safe deposit box, unless your Personal Representative (the person to handle the paperwork) is also an owner on the box. If this is the case, then someone must be appointed by the Orphans' Court as your Personal Representative in order to gain access to the box. It is a better idea to file your Will with the Register of Wills in the County where you reside, or to keep the document in a fire/flood proof container at your residence. Your attorney may also keep the document on file for you in a safe at their office. You should always keep a photocopy of the Will with your important papers indicating where the original can be found.